Explore commonly asked questions about IRA contributions, including reporting nondeductible contributions with Form 8606. Learn about the flexibility in contributing for the previous tax year and the steps to remedy errors, such as claiming higher IRA contributions than made. Stay informed to navigate tax implications effectively.

Missed Your IRA Deduction? Here's What to Do Now!

Explore commonly asked questions about IRA contributions, including reporting nondeductible contributions with Form 8606. Learn about the flexibility in contributing for the previous tax year and the steps to remedy errors, such as claiming higher IRA contributions than made. Stay informed to navigate tax implications effectively.

Missed Your IRA Deduction? Here's What to Do Now!

Hey, navigating the tax code can be a real maze, right? And sometimes, we might miss out on some smart tax-planning moves, especially when it comes to contributions to our traditional IRAs from back in the day.

But here's the good news: even if you've overlooked claiming deductions for those contributions, all is not lost. You've got a couple of ways to fix things up, depending on how you want Uncle Sam to treat your retirement stash. It's like a little tax do-over for your IRA contributions from yesteryears!

Key Takeaways: 

Deductible IRA Contributions:

There are two options for IRA contributions – deductible and nondeductible. Opting for deductible contributions allows you to claim a tax deduction when you contribute, reducing your taxable income for that year. These contributions grow tax-deferred until retirement, and when you withdraw, they become taxable since you already claimed a deduction.

Note: Individuals anticipating a lower tax bracket in retirement typically choose deductible contributions to benefit from the tax break before retirement.

For 2023, the total contributions you make each year to all of your traditional IRAs and Roth IRAs can't be more than:

Nondeductible IRA Contributions:

Alternatively, you can make nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA. While these contributions don't lower your taxable income, they still grow tax-deferred until retirement. The advantage is that withdrawals from contributions not claimed as deductions are tax-free when you start withdrawing funds in retirement.

Roth IRAs vs. Nondeductible IRAs:

Many individuals opt for contributing to Roth IRAs instead of making nondeductible contributions to traditional IRAs. Similar to nondeductible contributions, Roth IRA contributions are not tax-deductible. However, they also experience tax-free growth until retirement, and when you begin withdrawing money from a Roth IRA, the withdrawals, including accrued interest and growth, are entirely tax-free, provided you meet specific requirements.

To qualify for tax-free withdrawals, you generally need to have held the Roth IRA account for at least five years and be 59½ years old or older at the time of withdrawal. Exceptions exist for individuals with disabilities, first-time homebuyers, and beneficiaries after the account holder's death. The IRS may also make occasional exceptions for early withdrawals in the case of natural disasters, with these exceptions being temporary and specific to affected taxpayers.

Note: Individuals typically lean towards making Roth IRA contributions if they anticipate being in a similar or higher tax bracket during retirement.

The Decision You Face:

If you've overlooked claiming your IRA deductions in past years, a crucial decision lies ahead regarding how you prefer your IRA to be taxed. One option is to claim the tax deduction now, securing some extra funds in your tax refund, with the understanding that this income will be subject to taxation when you retire and make withdrawals. Conversely, you can forgo the immediate tax deduction, allowing the funds to grow tax-free, and then withdraw them without taxation later.

What Happens If You Take No Action:

Should you opt for inaction, the IRS will automatically treat your contributions as deductible. Consequently, when you withdraw the funds during retirement, they will be subject to taxation because the contributions were initially deductible. To avoid this outcome, it's essential to take proactive steps.

Note: Seeking guidance from a tax professional is advisable to determine the optimal option based on your individual circumstances. Consulting with a professional ensures a comprehensive understanding of the implications associated with your choice.

Opting for Immediate Deduction:

If you're inclined to claim the deduction now, initiate the process by filing amended tax returns for any applicable years within the open window for amendment as per the IRS statute of limitations. Typically, this timeframe spans three years from the original return filing date or two years from the date of the last payment made on the return, selecting the later of the two. This maneuver allows you to claim the tax deductions for your IRA contributions on the amended returns, potentially resulting in additional tax refunds for each relevant year.

Ensure that your amended returns reach the IRS by the current year's tax due date to prevent the expiration of the statute of limitations and avoid potential issues with receiving a refund.

Opting for Tax-Free Withdrawals:

If your preference is for tax-free withdrawals, complete IRS Form 8606 to designate your IRA contributions as nondeductible. This form must be filed for each year in which contributions were made to your traditional IRA without claiming the deduction. Following this, direct your investment broker to execute the conversion of your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.

Depending on the growth of your initial investments, the conversion may incur partial taxation or be entirely tax-free. This strategic move aligns with your goal of facilitating tax-free withdrawals in the future.

Converting to a Roth IRA:

If your contributions extend beyond the three-year mark, adhere to the same protocol. Complete Form 8606 for each applicable year, establishing the nondeductible status of these contributions.

It's crucial to note that for tax returns exceeding the three-year threshold, seeking additional refunds from the IRS becomes impractical. The window for gaining tax benefits by claiming deductions for IRA contributions from returns older than three years has closed. However, filing Form 8606 is essential in this context, serving the purpose of formally categorizing these contributions as nondeductible. This designation is a prerequisite for proceeding with the conversion of the funds to a Roth IRA, aligning with your objective of optimizing your financial strategy.

Submitting Form 8606 and Audit Risks:

While Form 8606 is typically filed alongside a timely Form 1040, the IRS accommodates the processing of a belated Form 8606, even if it surpasses the standard three-year statute of limitations for refund claims, as indicated by Jesse Weller, an IRS spokesperson. Notably, Form 8606 can be submitted independently if not mandated by the requirement of a Form 1040. In such cases, the form should be signed below the jurat on page 2, affirming its accuracy under the penalties of perjury.

For individuals who made nondeductible traditional IRA contributions, filing Form 8606 is pivotal. It establishes the basis in the IRA, serving as crucial documentation to support that income tax should not be levied on these contributions during distribution.

Failure or oversight in filing Form 8606 may prompt an inquiry from the IRS, necessitating an explanation and verification of nondeductible contributions. To mitigate the risk of an inquiry or potential audit, it is advisable to proactively file the form.

It's important to note that there exists a possibility of facing a $50 penalty under Internal Revenue Code section 6693(b)(2) for non-submission of Form 8606, unless the failure is deemed to have occurred due to reasonable cause.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Do I need to disclose nondeductible IRA contributions on my tax return?

Can I contribute to my IRA for the prior tax year after the calendar year ends?

What are the consequences if I mistakenly claimed a higher IRA contribution than I actually made?

I hope this information was helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us here. I’d be happy to chat with you.

Connect with Josh

Vincere Tax can help you with the tax implications of business taxes, stocks, bonds, ETFs, cryptocurrency, rental property income, and other investments.

Being audited is comparable to being struck by lightning. You don't want to practice pole vaulting in a thunderstorm just because it's unlikely. Making sure your books are accurate and your taxes are filed on time is one of the best ways to keep your head down during tax season. Check out Vincere's take on tax season!

Friends don’t let friends do their own taxes. Share this article!

This post is just for informational purposes and is not meant to be legal, business, or tax advice. Regarding the matters discussed in this post, each individual should consult his or her own attorney, business advisor, or tax advisor. Vincere accepts no responsibility for actions taken in reliance on the information contained in this document.

The best source of information on tax

For business tax planning articles, our tax resources provides valuable insights into how you can reduce your tax liability now, and in the future.


Tax Write-Offs for Influencers

read more

Summer Tax Check-In: Stay Financially Savvy with These Mid-Year Tips

read more

How Major Life Changes Can Save You Money on Taxes

read more

Contact Vincere Tax And Start Saving Money With Your Taxes.

Our friendly and professional team is ready to service you. Let us help you to minimize your tax burden and save money.

Talk with an Expert
Vincere Tax - Tax Reviews and Tax Planning